Completed projects:

roof, kitchen, master bedroom, main bathroom (sans shower tile), fireplace, hardwood flooring, windows, office, front entry, stairway

Ongoing projects:

shower surround, dapping/painting woodwork, ensuite vanity/lights/mirror, painting outdoor trim, finishing front entry tile work, interior door painting and hardware, decorating

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Main bedroom before and after - IT'S RED!

It's about to get a lot more colourful in the bedroom... and Teddy approves!





Over at Nesting Place, they're having a link party with a theme of spending 10 minutes on any given room to improve it. I just want to thank Nester for having this little festival because it really made me motor to further the bedroom! I was no where near 10 minutes. Turning that into 10 hours would be more accurate, but nevertheless, I'm thrilled so far!

Check out this link if you wish to visit the link party Nester is having. You can view many other befores and afters.

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/2009/02/10-minutes-to-room-you-love-finale.html

This post was geared to cater to The Nester viewing. If you wish for abit more info on the how-to of what's to follow, you can view it at:

http://ourextremehomemakeoverexperience.blogspot.com/search/label/main%20bedroom


Ok, here we go! Way back when I moved in, the bedroom was a dingy yellow with threadbare off white/yellowed carpet. Nasty. I was too embarrassed to take a before pic, silly me.


Next, was painting the bedroom to simply clean it up with brand new hardwood flooring and mouldings. It was feeling like the ritz already.



Next, I scooped up this cool old sign for a headboard and simply had it screwed right to the wall. The wall behind it begged to be RED, doncha think?



Next, the wall went RED. Isn't it awesome?



See all those pillows? I went to two thrift stores today after work and gathered up my treasures for $10.00. Pillows and pillow cases in all the colours I desired. My kinda shopping! All the rest of the following items in the room I already had.



I thought this stool with a checkerboard placed on top was just temporary as I had my eye on a neat tallish nightstand with drawers at Homesense, but after jazzing it up, I like it!


The antique jars really lend a lovely hue of colour during daylight hours. My clock radio is hidden behind the left side of the curtain, which actually works well! Some ugly necessity is hidden anyway. My bed is big enough to simply reach over to the window to turn it on/off.



The biggest frame has no mirror in it. It's empty. All the other frames hold mirrors. You'd never know! The front thing is a little woodsy tray that matched the pickled pine furniture. This display probably won't stay for long. I change this area alot.

All the brass on the handles of the furniture will morph into black soon.



Forgive me for having that honkin' big tv on that teeny weeny little nightstand! But it's all I have to work with right now. We were suppose to shop within our homes for this little project so I did just that.

My friends Dan and Janis graciously gave me the two coke signs. When Dan spotted what I had done with my headboard online, he told me these would also look great in the room. He was right!


This is a shot of the ensuite viewing from the bed. The metal hook holding the towel is MASSIVE and just really cool. Sorry it didn't show up well here.



Here's a couple shots not really worthy of taking, however just to give you an overall of what I had to work with. The furniture is 20 years old or so and in as new shape still. Wouldn't that armoire look great in black?!? But for now, the light bedding ties in the furniture ok.


A few things still need to be done such as getting my bed skirt on the bed again. (did you notice that it hadn't been done?!?) The king sized mattress is just too heavy for me to lug on my own and it's late. But in all, I'm pretty happy with how the room turned out. It's fresh, fun to look at, and so very me to a T.

I'll say this. The room is most definately kitten approved. The cats rarely wander to this room and now that I change things for the better, they have to try it out. It must be cozy if a cat approves... NEXT!

What IS next? Hmmm.. I delayed the stair wooden components install due to continued out gassing of the varnish fuming up my garage, so I may tile my entryway floor next weekend.

Thanks for the visit!

42 comments:

  1. Love the funkiness of your bedroom! The red really pops the sign. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO girl!! I love your bedroom. Lately, red is becoming my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sign behind your bed and it looks awesome red!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, love the tables too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, that headboard sign is WOW!!!! Quite creative and it works great!

    maybe we should do a 10 hours to the room you'll love?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love your bedroom, you've used my favorite colors, and I really like the graphic wall art/headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red! Love the sign especially! Great job! The Magic Brush

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it! great job! the sign and checkerboard side table are pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sign headboard is a great idea- and using a stool as a side table is genus.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your bed, the headboard/board, and the red wall!! So FaB!! Can I make one suggestion just because??? What if you move the two small end tables side by side, where the one with mirrors is and put the tv off center on that? Then you could still use the mirrors next to the tv. Move the chair to the corner where the tv is now, and from what it looks like, you'll have more room over all, and the tv should fit fine. Just thought it might be a simple solution, to your already great looking room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, love the headboard and the rest of your room looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic sign! Kudos to you for being so bold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the headboard and the red!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe you put that wreath on your bed. I think it's absolutely FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sign for the headboard and the red is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that red wall and the headboard! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cool sign! Especially with the drama of the red wall behind it! Your table with frames is very nice. Your kitty too cute! :o)
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sign (on the red wall) is so FABULOUS! I would have snatched itup too. Using the checkerboard on the table top is perfect in the room DON'T CHANGE IT! Love it all...
    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the headboard...it is perfect on the red walls!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job! Where oh where did you get that big sign! I would love to have something like that! Thank you for sharing.~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, thanks for all your comments! I rarely if ever get them online so your reviews, pros AND cons are very much appreciated!

    I've added a few more pics as well as a link to the building of the bedroom sign within the main post now so you don't have to miss out on a thing!

    This fine AM I woke up, glanced at the floor and sighed. That's a whole lotta pillows to put back on a bed. LOL But it was quick and fast. I USE the two pillows furthest back so the crunches are hidden.

    Thanks for the visits and your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your headboard is great!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your headboard...what a great find! My kind of colors. The Cat is pretty cute, too!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok, loving the sign!

    Good job!!!

    blessings,
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sign is amazing! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks awesome Donna! You are doing a great job with your house. It's so amazing how far it's come.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a thrift shopper too! LOVE the red it POPS. The sign as a headboard is rocking! And the stool as a table is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that sign for a headboard and the colors look great! Cool thing that the church is doing too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. great job - totally love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely transformation in your bedroom. I love that headboard and the pillows and the wreath on your bed..and the black and white kitty!

    Your furniture is lovely and looks great in that colour...but...I can imagine it would look very striking in black too. The details are so nice!

    thank you for sharing
    come by and visit when you have some time. I'm having a giveaway!
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fun bedroom! I really love the red wall behind the headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a brilliant idea for a headboard... I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Be carefull with the fumes and gas furnace or gas water tank. The vapors not only can make you and others in the home vary ill but can if the right mixture or air, vapors given off from the paints or solvents and ignition source as I spoke above be enough to cause a explosion and fire. Remember to have a fire you need 3 things Heat/Oxgen/Fuel and in the right enviroment it can and does happen. Please make sure you OPEN ALL Your windows and doors good when doing a task as refinishing with those paints and varnishes.

    Oh and one more thing, You have no bed skirt ?

    Lol ! It all looks wonderful, I feel as if I am looking through a Home and Garden Magazine at a project the Steve & Chris the Designer Guy's have just completed.

    I think they would approve !

    http://www.cbc.ca/stevenandchris/

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agreew with everyone else, that sign is amazing. I never, ever find things like that. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The red wall is fab!!
    And your checkered table is great. But my favorite thing in the room now is the group of frames/mirrors. So very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh girl...this looks fabulous. I love the red wall, the table with the checker board is PRECIOUS...(I am now in the process of finding a checkerboard for a little table of mine...thanks to YOU!! :o)
    But my favorite...that MAGNIFICENT sign ! Where in the world did you come up with that ??

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the special pieces you used in your bedroom.
    The color red is also a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my goodness! I LOVE your room! [sigh] I wish I had that kind of sense. And I agree, that armoire would look terrific black.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my! The giant sign behind your bed is AWESOME! Love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Absolutely love the sign behind the bed!! Fabulous!!
    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love all the items you put together! Some I never would have thought of! Great to see!

    ReplyDelete
  42. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the headboard! Where did you find something so cool? Great room!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your comments! We'd love to hear from you!